Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has been building high quality guitar wiring harnesses & pickups for over 25 years…
& we love what we do!
“Brent Mason” Telecaster wiring harness with standard 3-way Tele switching… (shown with the upgraded Mojo Dijon Coupling cap)
If you have (or want to build) a Brent Mason “Power” Tele, this is the harness for you! It incorporates standard 3-way Tele switching and is chock full of premium quality parts! It fits right into the Tele electronics cutout and is simple to solder in. We include a very easy-to-understand wiring diagram.
This wiring harness gives you the functionality of a Tele AND the independent volume control of a middle pickup.
The middle pickup is controlled by the tone position-mounted push/pull pot on the control plate. It is NOT part of the 3-way switching. The push/pull function of the tone control turns the middle pickup off & on.
The middle pickup is controlled by the middle position-mounted pot on the control plate. It is NOT part of the 3-way switching.
(According to Brent Mason) “To activate or cut off the middle pickup there are two different ways: connecting the pickup to the switch or using a push/pull volume pot for the middle pickup. I decided to use the second version because when connecting the pickup directly to the switch, the volume pot stays connected to the circuit, adding some load to it, resulting in less high-end. Please note that the master tone pot will not work on the middle pickup when the master volume is not set to “10” (aka fully opened). When you start to roll down the volume, the middle pickup gets disconnected from the master tone, no matter if you switch the pickup itself or the volume pot.”
Premier Guitar Magazine did a nice article on Brent Mason’s guitar wiring: Read the Premier Guitar Magazine article here
In Mason’s own words (in an interview with Premier Guitar Magazine): “Please note that the master tone pot will not work on the middle pickup when the master volume is not set to “10” (aka fully opened). When you start to roll down the volume, the middle pickup gets disconnected from the master tone, no matter if you switch the pickup itself or the volume pot.”.
A photo of Brent Mason’s actual wiring harness:
HARDWARE: (included are dress nuts & washers and switch mounting screws)
- optional custom drilled chrome control plate & mounting screws ($28 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled chrome “slanted switch” control plate & mounting screws ($31 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled black control plate & mounting screws ($34 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled gold control plate & mounting screws ($38 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled nickel control plate & mounting screws ($28 upgrade)
- optional knobs are also available on this website
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitor, .022mfd value (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- P1 – bridge only
- P2 – bridge & neck, in-parallel (normal Tele tone)
- P3 – neck only
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series volume pot, 500k value, audio taper
- 1 CTS audio taper mini tone pot, 500k value
- 1 Bourns 500k push/pull pot to control the middle pickup
- Mojo “Dijon” Coupling Cap, .022mfd value
- high quality 3-way lever style switch
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- Gavitt vintage style, cloth covered wire
- tech support phone & email
While we make all of our wiring harnesses to be installed rather easily, we always recommend that you take your guitar, Hoagland Custom wiring harness, and the wiring diagram to your local guitar technician for installation. There are a lot of variables (grounding, pickup wires colors, etc., etc.) and they will be equipped to get your guitar sounding it’s BEST!