Hoagland Custom has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years and we love what we do!
This is a Stratocaster wiring solution built with high quality parts and crafted by hand. This wiring harness will give you great service for years! We only use the highest quality parts for our wiring harnesses.
This Stratocaster wiring harness is modeled after the Fender® Custom Shop “David Gilmour” (of Pink Floyd) model guitar.
According to what we’ve been able to find, his choice of pickups are as follows:
- Neck – Fender® Custom Shop Fat 50’s
- Middle – Fender® Custom Shop ’69
- Bridge – Seymour Duncan SSL-5
Will buying and installing this wiring harness make you play like David Gilmour? Of course not. Will you be able to get the same tone out of your Strat that he gets? Not without the exact same rack of processing gear that he uses (not to even talk about the difference in playing ability). Will it make your guitar sound better than it does today? Absolutely.
HARDWARE: (incl. dress nuts & washers, & switch mounting screws)
- chrome (standard)
- black (available at additional cost)
- gold (available at additional cost)
AVAILABLE CAPACITOR UPGRADES:
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors (2), as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitors (2), $6 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- Mallory “Mustard” capacitors (2), $8 upgrade
- Vitamin Q “Black Candy” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $24 upgrade
- Emerson Custom premium paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $48 upgrade.
- P1 – bridge pickup only
- P2 – bridge & middle pickups
- P3 – middle pickup only
- P4 – neck & middle pickups
- P5 – neck pickup only
SPST MINI TOGGLE INFORMATION
When the SPST mini toggle switch is in the down position (as viewed with the guitar in the playing position) the neck pickup is turned on (in-parallel) with which ever pickup(s) are selected with the 5-way pickup selector switch. For instance, if you have the 5-way pickup selector switch in position 5 (bridge) and mini toggle down (on) then both neck and bridge pickups are active in-parallel with each other. If you have the 5-way pickup selector switch in position 4 (bridge and middle) and mini toggle down (on) then all 3 pickups (neck, middle and bridge) are active in-parallel with each other. In positions 3, 2 and 1 of the 5-way pickup selector switch there is no reason to turn on the SPST mini toggle switch since the 5-way pickup selector switch provides the remaining pickup selections. It essentially activates the neck pickup with whatever other pickup(s) that you’ve selected.
The small jumper wire on the 5-way lever switch that connects the inner most terminal connections on the 5-way switch on the side where the wires from both tone controls connect. This enables a tone control for both the bridge and middle pickups. Each tone control in the above diagram has it’s own 0.022mfd capacitor.
- CTS or Bourns Pro Series volume control, 250k value, audio taper
- CTS or Bourns Pro Series tone controls (2), 250k value, linear taper (upper is neck tone control only; lower is middle & bridge tone control)
- Treble bleed circuit (.0012mfd cap & a 230k 1/4watt resistor)
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors (2), .022mfd values
- 5-way lever style switch
- SPST toggle style switch
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- vintage style, cloth covered wire
- easy to follow wiring diagram
- tech support phone & email
While all of our wiring solutions are built to be installed rather easily, we always recommend that you have a guitar professional at your local guitar shop install it for you. There are a lot of variables (pickup brands & types, shielding, grounding, etc.) and your local guitar tech is well equipped to solve any installation problems you might have and get your guitar sounding it’s best!