Hoagland Custom located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years…
& we love what we do!
This is a complete “Flying V” style 2 volume, 1 master tone control, 3-way toggle switch wiring harness kit with DIGITALLY MATCHED POTS. It includes everything that you need (aside from the soldering gun) to build a very high quality wiring harness for your “Flying V” or other 2 volume, 1 master tone control guitar.
A WORD ON MATCHED POTS: The pots in this kit have been digitally metered and matched. Matching pots will give you a more reliable tone between pickups than with pots that are not matched. We match our pot sets to within 10k of each other (usually the tolerance is less). When we receive pots from our supplier, the values (on 500k pots) can be anywhere from 410k all the way up to 580k. The ideal value for you, of course, depends on your desired tone. Pots that meter higher tend to allow more highs to pass to your signal chain. Lower rated pots tend to bleed off the treble from your pickups. For humbuckers, the ideal seems to be about 500k. Matched pots, when available (they are not always available) are the best way to go!
- 2 – 500k CTS or Bourns Pro Series audio taper, short-shaft (3/8″ or 9mm) MATCHED volume controls (matched to each other and the tone control)
- 1 – 500k CTS or Bourns Pro Series linear taper, short-shaft (3/8″ or 9mm) MATCHED tone control (matched to the volume controls)
- 1 – .022mfd value Sprague “Orange Drop” capacitor as standard
- a 3-way toggle switch, short shaft
- 1 Switchcraft output jack
- 2′ of Gavitt vintage style, cloth-covered wire (12″ each of black and white)
- 12″ each of red, white, black, & green plastic coated wire
- a detailed, easy to understand wiring diagram (not a technical sheet)
- a generous amount of solder
The short-shaft MATCHED pots have a 9mm threaded section and will fit nicely through the “Flying V” pickguard.
SWITCHING POSITIONS WITH THIS WIRING HARNESS:
- P1 – Bridge pickup only
- P2 – Neck & bridge pickups
- P3 – Neck pickup only
While all of our pickup & wiring solutions & kits are built to be installed rather easily by most do-it-yourselfers, we always recommend that you have a guitar professional at your local guitar shop install them for you.
This “Flying V” style wiring harness is not considered complex and should be easy for a beginning DIY’er.
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding these handcrafted Hoagland Custom pickups, or any other guitar wiring solution that you might need.