Hoagland Custom is a guitar shop located in Fernandina Beach, Florida.
This is a custom, handcrafted loaded “David Gilmour” style Stratocaster pickguard just chock full of the BEST COMPONENTS!
It is a VERY easy install. Just connect the ground, output jack, and the pickguard with the included screws. That’s all!
- CTS brand volume control, 250k value, audio taper
- CTS brand tone controls (2), 250k value, linear taper (upper is neck tone control only; lower is middle & bridge tone control)
- Treble bleed circuit (.0012mfd cap & a 230k 1/4watt resistor)
- Vitamin Q “Black Candy” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), .022mfd values
- CRL brand 5-way lever style switch
- SPST mini toggle style switch
- Switchcraft mono input jack
- vintage style, cloth covered wire
- easy to follow wiring diagram
- tech support phone & email
SPST MINI TOGGLE INFORMATION
When the SPST mini toggle switch is in the down position (as viewed by the player when playing the guitar) the neck pickup is turned on (in-parallel) with which ever pickup(s) are selected with the 5-way pickup selector switch. For instance, if you have the 5-way pickup selector switch in position 5 (bridge) and mini toggle down (on) then both neck and bridge pickups are active in-parallel with each other. If you have the 5-way pickup selector switch in position 4 (bridge and middle) and mini toggle down (on) then all 3 pickups (neck, middle and bridge) are active in-parallel with each other. In positions 3, 2 and 1 of the 5-way pickup selector switch there is no reason to turn on the SPST mini toggle switch since the 5-way pickup selector switch provides the remaining pickup selections. It essentially activates the neck pickup with whatever other pickup(s) that you’ve selected.
The small jumper wire on the CRL 5-way lever switch that connects the inner most terminal connections on the 5-way switch on the side where the wires from both tone controls connect. This enables a tone control for both the bridge and middle pickups. Each tone control in the above diagram has it’s own 0.022 uF capacitor.
- White 3-ply, 11-hole pickguard (standard, other pickguards available)
- White pickup covers (standard, other colors are available)
- White Stratocaster knobs (1 volume, 2 tones) (standard, other colors are available)
- 11 chrome pickguard screws
- Neck – 6.14k, alnico 5 magnets (.195″ dia), beveled & staggered, south up
- Middle – 5.24k, alnico 5 magnets (.187″ dia), flat, staggered, north up (RWRP)
- Bridge – 12.57k, alnico 5 magnets (.195″ dia), beveled, staggered, south up
- Wax-potted to eliminate squealing & microphonics
- Vintage style, cloth-covered leads
- Handcrafted with all “Made in the USA” parts (bobbins in North Carolina, magnets in Arkansas, pickup wire in Wisconsin, lead wire in New York)
- Covers included (if no cover color is selected, we default to white)
Will buying and installing this loaded pickguard make you play like David Gilmour? Of course not. Will you be able to get the same tone out of your Strat that he gets? Not without the exact same rack of expensive processing gear that he uses (not to even talk about the difference in playing ability). Will it make your guitar sound better than it does today? Absolutely.
There are a LOT of things that go into creating or recreating tone. While each item in your signal chain is important, no one item will do the job for you. Pickups, along with the way that your guitar is wired, are probably the most important parts of your signal chain. Changing out the pickups/wiring has the biggest impact on your sound. If you are looking to replicate that Gilmour tone, THIS is where you start.
The bridge overwind will give you the biggest, grittiest, bluesiest tone you’ve ever heard. Premium quality pickups that are handwound when you order them. We can, of course, custom-tailor the winding to any spec that you’d like.
These pickups are made by hand by Hoagland Custom and are wound specifically for you. They are NOT “off-the-shelf” pickups. They are NOT relabeled imported pickups. We make these in our shop and they are the highest quality pickups you can buy. They are made from 100% american made parts.
While all of our pickup and wiring solutions are made to be installed easily by most do-it-yoursel’ers, we always recommend that you have your local guitar professional install them for you. There are a lot of variables that can occur (grounding problems, cold solder joints, etc., etc.) and your local guitar professional is very well versed on the solutions to those issues.
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding this loaded pickguard.