Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and building pickups for over 25 years…
& we love what we do!
Our Jazzmaster wiring solution is handcrafted here in our shop in Fernandina Beach, Florida. When possible, we use all US-made parts. Assembled with care and crafted by hand. We do not make this harness until you place your order. Each wiring harness is custom built to suit our customer’s needs. It drops right in and is very easy to install. This harness is complete and ready for installation into your Jazzmaster.
This Jazzmaster wiring solution does not include the pickguard or the roller knobs (not everyone needs them) but we do carry a selection of Jazzmaster pickguards & roller knobs in-stock in our shop.
Depending on how your particular Jazzmaster is routed, you may (or may not) need to slightly adjust the depth of the cavity to accommodate the electronics.
THE LEAD CIRCUIT:
The Jazzmaster’s lead circuit is pretty straightforward. There is one master volume knob and one master tone knob, both located on the lower pickguard. The pickup selector switch gives three options: Neck pickup, bridge pickup, or both pickups together. You can activate the lead circuit by setting the upper slide switch in the “down” position (toward the neck).
THE RHYTHM CIRCUIT:
To activate the Jazzmaster’s rhythm circuit–which is fully separate from the lead–simply move the upper slide switch to the “up” position (away from the neck). The two inside wheels on the upper pickguard next to the slide switch are the circuit’s volume and passive tone controls. The wheel nearest the slider switch will set your volume.
An important note: When in the rhythm setting, only your neck pickup will be operational–your bridge pickup will be deactivated. More than one unaware player has mistaken a Jazzmaster in rhythm mode for one with a faulty bridge pickup. Also, while in rhythm mode, the pickup selector switch and master volume and tone controls become non-functional.
- chrome (standard)
- black (optional)
- gold (optional)
- Hardware includes dress nuts & washers, toggle switch, & mounting screws.
- “Pure Tone” premium quality mono output jack, $6 upgrade
- Roller knobs (2), black, $15 upgrade
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors (2), .022mfd values
- 1meg CTS linear taper volume control (master)
- 1meg CTS audio taper tone control (master)
- 50k linear taper roller tone control
- 1meg linear taper roller volume control
- 2 Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors, .022mfd value
- 3-way, short-shank toggle style switch
- Switchcraft 2-way slide style switch (a rhythm/lead switch)
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- Gavitt vintage style, cloth covered wire
- tech support phone / email
- easy-to-follow wiring diagram
While all of our wiring solutions are built to be installed rather easily, every guitar is different. We always recommend that you have a professional guitar technician at your local guitar shop install it for you. They are experienced troubleshooters and are equipped to get the best from your setup!
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding this wiring solution, our custom, handcrafted Hoagland Custom pickups, or any other guitar wiring solution that you might need.