Hoagland Custom has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years and we love what we do!
Our standard Jazzmaster wiring solution. Handcrafted here in our shop in Columbus, Ohio. When possible, we use all US-made parts. Assembled with care and crafted by hand. We do not make this harness until you place your order. Each wiring harness is custom built to suit our customer’s needs. It drops right in and is very easy to install. This harness is complete and ready for installation into your Jazzmaster.
This Jazzmaster wiring solution does not include the pickguard but we do carry a very good selection of Jazzmaster pickguards in-stock in our shop.
THE LEAD CIRCUIT:
The Jazzmaster’s lead circuit is pretty straightforward. There is one master volume knob and one master tone knob, both located on the lower pickguard. The pickup selector switch gives three options: Neck pickup, bridge pickup, or both pickups together. You can activate the lead circuit by setting the upper slide switch in the “down” position (toward the neck).
THE RHYTHM CIRCUIT:
To activate the Jazzmaster’s rhythm circuit–which is fully separate from the lead–simply move the upper slide switch to the “up” position (away from the neck). The two inside wheels on the upper pickguard next to the slide switch are the circuit’s volume and passive tone controls. The wheel nearest the slider switch will set your volume.
An important note: When in the rhythm setting, only your neck pickup will be operational–your bridge pickup will be deactivated. More than one unaware player has mistaken a Jazzmaster in rhythm mode for one with a faulty bridge pickup. Also, while in rhythm mode, the pickup selector switch and master volume and tone controls become non-functional.
- chrome (standard)
- Hardware includes dress nuts & washers, toggle switch, & mounting screws.
AVAILABLE CAPACITOR UPGRADES:
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors (2), as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitors (2), $4 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their great tone and transparency.”)
- Tai Han “Black Bee” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $16 upgrade
- Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $22 upgrade
- 1meg CTS brand linear taper volume control (master)
- 1meg CTS brand audio taper tone control (master)
- 50k linear taper roller tone control
- 1meg linear taper roller volume control
- 2 Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors, .022mfd value
- 3-way toggle style switch (neck, bridge, both)
- 2-way slide style switch (a rhythm/lead switch)
- black, all metal roller knobs (2)
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- vintage style, cloth covered wire
- tech support phone / email
- easy-to-follow wiring diagram
While all of our wiring solutions are built to be installed rather easily, every guitar is different. We always recommend that you have a professional guitar technician at your local guitar shop install it for you. They are experienced troubleshooters and are equipped to get the best from your setup!
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding this wiring solution, our custom, handcrafted Hoagland Custom pickups, or any other guitar wiring solution that you might need.