Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years…
& we love what we do!
Let’s start off by saying that you must have 2 humbuckers for this harness and they each must be splittable. That is, they each must have at least 4 conductors(wires).
This wiring mod, popularized by Led Zeppelin & The Yardbird’s great Jimmy Page, gives your Les Paul or SG style guitar a multitude of new tones not available with the stock wiring including the normal 3-way humbucker switching, Strat-like single coil tones, out-of-phase tones, and the huge sounding Broadbucker tone. All made possible through coil splitting, series/parallel switching and phase-reversal.
There’s a great article in Premiere Magazine’s “Mod Garage” : https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-garage/jimmy-page-wiring
Uber high quality CTS push-pull potentiometers make this switching possible without the need of drilling any new holes in your guitar. Now your knobs will each have a dual function; adjusting volume or tone when twisted and providing switching options when pushed or pulled. Installation process takes about 30-45 minutes.
Technical information regarding this Jimmy Page style harness:
CTS CONTROL POT SPECS
- Resistance – 500K
- Taper – pots (4) are audio taper
- Knob type – 24 spline shaft
- Shaft diameter – 0.235″ (5.95mm)
- Thread type – 3/8″-32
- Threaded shaft length – 3/4″ (short-shaft)
- Required mounting hole diameter – 3/8″ (9.52mm)
- Brand – Vitamin T
- Model – “Silver Barrel” cap
- Style – paper-in-oil
- Value – .022mfd & .047mfd
OUTPUT JACK SPECS
- Brand – “Pure Tone”
- Style – mono
- Mounting hole diameter – 3/8″ (9.52mm)
- Thread – 3/8″ x 32
- Thread length – 3/4″ (19m)
HARDWARE: (includes dress nuts & washers)
- chrome (standard)
- Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), a .022mfd value & a .047mfd value
VOLUME & TONE KNOB FUNCTIONS:
- Bridge volume knob – splits the bridge pickup
- Neck volume knob – splits the neck pickup
- Bridge tone knob – puts the bridge & neck pickups out-of-phase with each other
- Neck tone knob – puts the bridge & neck pickups in-series
- 4 – CTS brand, premium 500k push/pull controls, long-shaft (3/4″ or 19mm), audio taper
- 2 Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” premium paper-in-oil capacitors, 1-.022mfd & 1-.047mfd value
- “Pure Tone” premium mono output jack
- high quality Switchcraft 90º, 3-way toggle switch w/18″ color-coded leads
- easy-to-follow wiring diagram
- tech support phone & email
While all of our wiring solutions are built to be installed rather easily, we always recommend that you have a guitar professional at your local guitar shop install it for you. There are issues that sometimes come up during installation (grounding, etc.) and your local guitar tech is equipped to diagnose & handle those for you.
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding this wiring solution, our custom, handcrafted Hoagland Custom pickups, or any other guitar wiring solution that you might need.