Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years…
& we love what we do!
Let us start off by saying that you must have 2 humbuckers for this harness and they each must be splittable. That is, they each must have at least 4 conductors(wires).
This wiring mod, popularized by Led Zeppelin & The Yardbird’s great Jimmy Page, gives your Les Paul or SG style guitar a multitude of new tones not available with the stock wiring including the normal 3-way humbucker switching, Strat-like single coil tones, out-of-phase tones, and the huge sounding Broadbucker tone. All made possible through coil splitting, series/parallel switching and phase-reversal.
Push-pull potentiometers make this switching possible without the need of drilling any new holes in your guitar. Now your knobs will each have a dual function; adjusting volume or tone when twisted and providing switching options when pushed or pulled. Installation process takes about 30-45 minutes.
The toggle switch is an option with this harness. Our reasoning is that, if you didn’t need it, we didn’t want to charge you for it.
There’s a great article in Premiere Magazine’s “Mod Garage” : https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-garage/jimmy-page-wiring
Technical information regarding this Jimmy Page style harness:
CONTROL POT SPECS
- Resistance – 500K
- Taper – pots (4) are audio taper
- Knob type – 24 spline shaft
- Shaft diameter – 0.235″ (5.95mm)
- Thread type – 3/4″-32
- Threaded shaft length – 3/4″ (long-shaft)
- Required mounting hole diameter – 3/8″ (9.52mm)
- Brand – CDE
- Model – Orange Drop
- Style – poly
- Values – .047mfd & .022mfd
OUTPUT JACK SPECS
- Brand – Switchcraft
- Style – mono
- Mounting hole diameter – 3/8″ (9.52mm)
- Thread – 3/8″ x 32
- Thread length – 1/4″ (6.35m)
HARDWARE: (includes dress nuts & washers)
- chrome (standard)
- black (available at small additional cost)
- gold (available at small additional cost)
- Sprague/CDE “Orange Drop” poly capacitors (2), as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitors (2), $6 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- Mallory “Mustard” capacitors (2), $8 upgrade
- Centralab mylar-in-oil capacitors (2), $26 upgrade
- Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $28 upgrade
- Vitamin Q “Black Candy” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $32 upgrade
VOLUME & TONE FUNCTIONS:
- Bridge volume knob – splits the bridge pickup
- Neck volume knob – splits the neck pickup
- Bridge tone knob – puts the bridge & neck pickups out-of-phase with each other
- Neck tone knob – puts the bridge & neck pickups in-series
- 4 – 500k push/pull controls, long-shaft (3/4″ or 19mm), audio taper
- 2 Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- easy-to-follow wiring diagram
- tech support phone & email
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding this wiring solution, our custom, handcrafted Hoagland Custom pickups, or any other guitar wiring solution that you might need.