Hoagland Custom has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years and we love what we do!
Let us start off by saying that you must have 2 humbuckers for this harness and they each must be splittable. That is, they each must have at least 4 conductors(wires).
This wiring mod, popularized by Led Zeppelin & The Yardbird’s great Jimmy Page, gives your Les Paul or SG style guitar a multitude of new tones not available with the stock wiring including the normal 3-way humbucker switching, Strat-like single coil tones, out-of-phase tones, and the huge sounding Broadbucker tone. All made possible through coil splitting, series/parallel switching and phase-reversal.
This wiring harness features PUSH/PUSH pots.
Push/push potentiometers make this switching possible without the need of drilling any new holes in your guitar. Now your knobs will each have a dual function; adjusting volume or tone when twisted and providing switching options when pushed or pulled. Installation process takes about 30 minutes.
We offer the toggle switch as an option with this harness. Our reasoning is that, if you didn’t need it, we didn’t want to charge you for it.
Technical information regarding this Jimmy Page style harness:
CONTROL POT SPECS
- Resistance – 500K
- Style – Push/Push
- Taper – pots (4) are audio taper
- Knob type – 24 spline shaft
- Shaft diameter – 0.235″ (5.95mm)
- Thread type – 3/8″-32
- Threaded shaft length – 10mm (short-shaft)
- Required mounting hole diameter – 3/8″ (9.52mm)
- Brand – CDE
- Model – Orange Drop
- Style – poly
- Value – .047mfd
OUTPUT JACK SPECS
- Brand – Switchcraft
- Style – mono
- Mounting hole diameter – 3/8″ (9.52mm)
- Thread – 3/8″ x 32
- Thread length – 1/4″ (6.35m)
HARDWARE: (includes dress nuts & washers)
- chrome (standard)
- Sprague/CDE “Orange Drop” poly capacitors (2), as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitors (2), $6 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- Mallory “Mustard” capacitors (2), $8 upgrade
- Emerson “Yellow & Red” paper-in-oil capacitors (2), $48 upgrade
VOLUME & TONE KNOB FUNCTIONS:
- Bridge volume knob – splits the bridge pickup
- Neck volume knob – splits the neck pickup
- Bridge tone knob – puts the bridge & neck pickups out-of-phase with each other
- Neck tone knob – puts the bridge & neck pickups in-series
- 4 – 500k push/push controls, 500k value, short-shaft (10mm), audio taper
- 2 Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitors, .047mfd value
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- vintage style, cloth covered wire (where possible)
- easy-to-follow wiring diagram
- tech support phone & email
Contact Hoagland Custom with any questions regarding this wiring solution, our custom, handcrafted Hoagland Custom pickups, or any other guitar wiring solution that you might need.