Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for almost 30 years…
& we love what we do!
Don’t you hate the tone from your Tele neck pickup? Too warm? Lifeless? No character? No pop? So much so that you rarely use it?
Yeah… me, too.
So… to cure that, HOAGLAND CUSTOM has a great wiring solution!
Ok, there are a few ways to wrangle some great tone out of your Tele neck pickup.
- OPTION #1 – You can remove the neck pickup cover – not always easy because it’s usually wax-potted on & you risk breaking a coil wire and killing the pickup
- OPTION #2 – You can change the cover to an “open” cover – again, not always easy for the same reasons plus the cost of a new cover & re-potting the pickup
- OPTION #3 – You can change the way that your Tele is wired – the easiest (and least risky!) of the 3 solutions and you can easily replace your old wiring with our new wiring
This looks like a standard 3-way switching Telecaster wiring harness but… the tone control is removed from the neck pickup circuit. That will get rid of the load of the tone pot (usually 250k) plus the tone cap. This will give you more highs, more sparkle, more snap and THAT should make that neck pickup more functional for you.
In addition to this (and since we believe in having choices), you can order this with an optional “No Load” tone pot so, if you like, you can remove the tone pot (and the cap) from the bridge pickup as well.
BRING THAT UNUSED NECK PICKUP TO LIFE!
Since not everyone needs a control plate, this harness does NOT include the control plate but we do have them available.
OPTIONAL HARDWARE: (included are dress nuts & washers and switch mounting screws)
- optional chrome control plate & mounting screws (available but NOT included)
- optional “slanted switch” control plate (in gold or chrome) & mounting screws (available but NOT included)
- optional black control plate & mounting screws (available but NOT included)
- optional gold control plate & mounting screws (available but NOT included)
- optional nickel control plate & mounting screws (available but NOT included)
- optional “Pure Tone” premium mono output jack
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitor, as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitor, $3 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- Mallory “Mustard” capacitor, $4 upgrade
- Centralab “Royal Blue” mylar-in-oil capacitor, $13 upgrade
- Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” paper-in-oil capacitor, $14 upgrade
- Vitamin Q “Black Candy” paper-in-oil capacitor, $16 upgrade
- P1 – bridge only
- P2 – neck & bridge pickups, in-parallel (normal Tele tone)
- P3 – neck only
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series volume control, 250k value, audio taper
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series tone control, 250k value, linear taper
- 1 CTS “No-Load” tone control, 250k – AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION (replaces the standard tone pot)
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitor, .047mfd value
- quality 3-way lever style switch
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- Gavitt vintage style, cloth covered wire
- tech support phone & email
While all of our wiring solutions are built to be installed rather easily by you, we always recommend that you have a guitar professional at your local guitar shop install it for you.