Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years…
& we love what we do!
This is a REVERSE-WIRED “Brent Mason” Telecaster wiring harness with 4-way switching… that is, the switch is located at the bottom of the wiring harness toward the output jack & the volume control is at the top towards the neck. (shown with the optional Mojo Dijon Coupling cap)
It is custom-built for guitars that have 3 humbucker style pickups… they could be traditional style humbuckers or stacked style (Tele single coil sized) humbucker pickups.
A lot of players like this setup because it keeps them from accidently hitting the switch lever & changing pickup selections in the middle of a tune. The switch is towards the jack which is out of the way of strumming.
If you have (or want to build) a Brent Mason “Power” Tele, this is the harness for you! It incorporates 4-way switching (rather than the standard 3-way switching) and is chock full of premium quality parts! It fits right into the Tele electronics cutout and is simple to solder in. We include a very easy-to-understand wiring diagram.
This wiring harness gives you the functionality of a Tele with series/parallel switching (a great option!) AND the independent volume control with the middle pickup.
The middle pickup is controlled by the center-mounted, push/pull pot on the control plate. It is NOT part of the 4-way switching. The middle pickup is always on and can be volume potted up or down with the push/pull pot.
The middle pickup is controlled by the middle position-mounted pot on the control plate. It is NOT part of the 3-way switching.
(According to Brent Mason) “To activate or cut off the middle pickup there are two different ways: connecting the pickup to the switch or using a push/pull volume pot for the middle pickup. I decided to use the second version because when connecting the pickup directly to the switch, the volume pot stays connected to the circuit, adding some load to it, resulting in less high-end. Please note that the master tone pot will not work on the middle pickup when the master volume is not set to “10” (aka fully opened). When you start to roll down the volume, the middle pickup gets disconnected from the master tone, no matter if you switch the pickup itself or the volume pot.”
This DOES NOT include the custom-drilled control plate but we do have them available.
Premier Guitar Magazine did a nice article on Brent Mason’s guitar wiring: Read the Premier Guitar Magazine article here
In Mason’s own words (in an interview with Premier Guitar Magazine): “Please note that the master tone pot will not work on the middle pickup when the master volume is not set to “10” (aka fully opened). When you start to roll down the volume, the middle pickup gets disconnected from the master tone, no matter if you switch the pickup itself or the volume pot.”.
A photo of Brent Mason’s actual wiring harness:
HARDWARE: (included are dress nuts/washers and switch mounting screws)
- optional custom drilled chrome control plate & mounting screws ($28 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled chrome “slanted switch” control plate & mounting screws ($31 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled nickel control plate & mounting screws ($28 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled black control plate & mounting screws ($34 upgrade)
- optional custom drilled gold control plate & mounting screws ($38 upgrade)
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitor, .022mfd value, as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitor, .022mfd value, $3 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- Mallory “Mustard” capacitor, .022mfd value, $4 upgrade
- Centralab “White” mylar-in-oil capacitor, .022mfd value, $13 upgrade
- Vitamin Q “Black Candy” paper-in-oil capacitor, .022mfd value, $14 upgrade
- Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” paper-in-oil capacitor, .022mfd value, $14 upgrade
- P1 – bridge pickup
- P2 – bridge & neck, in-parallel (normal Tele tone)
- P3 – neck pickup
- P4 – bridge & neck, in-series (about 15% more power & better tone!)
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series volume pot, 500k value, audio taper
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series tone pot, 500k value, linear taper
- Reverse-wired w/switch at the bottom & volume at the top
- Bourns 500k push/pull pot to control the middle pickup
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitor, .022mfd value
- 4-way lever style switch
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- Gavitt vintage style, cloth covered wire
- tech support phone & email
While we make all of our wiring harnesses to be installed rather easily, we always recommend that you take your guitar, Hoagland Custom wiring harness, and the wiring diagram to your local guitar technician for installation. There are a lot of variables (grounding, pickup wires colors, etc., etc.) and they will be equipped to get your guitar sounding it’s BEST!