Hoagland Custom, located in sunny Fernandina Beach, Florida, has specialized in custom guitar wiring and pickup making for over 25 years and we love what we do!
This “Eldred Mod” Telecaster wiring harness is reverse-wired. That is, instead of the standard “Switch-Volume-Tone”, it is wired as “Volume-Tone-Switch”. Players like this because it keeps them from accidently hitting the switch when they are playing and changing positions.
This Esquire “Mike Eldred” mod wiring solution is made with premium quality parts… CTS, Bourns, Switchcraft, Sprague.
Read about it here in an article in “Premiere Guitar” magazine: Mike Eldred article
HARDWARE: (included are the dress washers/nuts and switch mounting screws)
- chrome control plate & mounting screws (available as an option)
- chrome control plate w/slanted switch & mounting screws (available as an option)
- black control plate & mounting screws (available at a slight additional cost)
- gold control plate & mounting screws (available at a slight additional cost)
- nickel control plate & mounting screws (available at a slight additional cost)
- “Pure Tone” Premium output jack, $6 upgrade
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitor & ceramic disc cap, as standard & no additional cost
- MojoTone Dijon Premium Foil/Film capacitor & ceramic disc cap, $3 upgrade (From the manufacturer: “Mojotone Dijon capacitors are high quality foil/film capacitors made to our exact specification. We like to call them musical capacitors because of their good tone and transparency.”)
- Mallory “Mustard” capacitor & ceramic disk cap, $4 upgrade
- Vitamin T “Silver Barrel” paper-in-oil capacitor & ceramic disc cap, $14 upgrade
Position #1 – This rear position is the same as on a standard Esquire. The pickup is routed through the volume control only, with the tone control bypassed for a hotter, louder lead sound with extra highs.
Position #2 – This middle position is also the same as on a standard Esquire, with the pickup routed through the volume and tone controls. It sounds a little warmer than position #1.
Position #3 – In the front position of the Eldred Esquire wiring, the pickup is routed through a single, small capacitor and volume control, with the tone control bypassed once again. You might think this is a very small and lame modification because it consists of nothing more than removing the fixed treble roll-off network and replacing it with a capacitor. But it’s a very effective mod that’s both versatile and useful.
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series volume control, 250k value, audio taper
- 1 CTS or Bourns Pro Series tone control, 250k value, linear taper
- Sprague “Orange Drop” poly capacitor, .047mfd value
- Ceramic disc capacitor, .0047mfd value
- 3-way lever style switch
- Switchcraft mono output jack
- Gavitt vintage style, cloth covered wire
- east to follow wiring diagram
- tech support phone & email
While all of our wiring solutions are built to be installed rather easily, we always recommend that you have a guitar professional at your local guitar shop install it for you.